This blog is a place for me to debrief myself after my classes. It will serve both as a place for venting and as an archive for what worked and didn't work for me. I welcome outsider comments about teaching techniques or anything else.
So things continue to go pretty well around these parts. Just a couple of notes here:
1. Class on Wednesday was less than ideal. I don't really feel that it went very well at all. But you know what? That's okay. Unlike last year where a bad class would have stayed with me, I just feel a lot more okay about one bad day. If it becomes a pattern, of course I'll get concerned, but once it a while is fine. Of course, the problems came because I tried to do too much. I should have just shut up and let them talk more. Of course.
2. On the electronic blackboard site where I post the readings for the class I told the students I was thinking about canceling class on Friday to give everyone a day off and that they should email me with their thoughts. One student was WAY too excited in her response. Three sentences, 5 exclamation points. It's one thing to share your feelings, quite another to make the teacher feel like you hate the class. On the other hand, she's a first year student, probably overwhelmed, probably had no idea what 8am classes would be like following Thursday night parties, so I can understand her enthusiasm. Still...
>
1 comments